I have to admit that Dick Nichols Park (and Dick Nichols Pool) is about a mile away from home. So, I might be a bit biased. But the boys always look forward to going and it’s one of our favorites. Even the playscape – which they always say is too “kiddie” for a too-cool 12 and 10-year-old – always draws them in eventually with the cool zip line area. We typically play a couple games of basketball then hop in the pool to cool off. There are also several cool geocaches in the area.
Dick Nichols Pool is free, so it can get crowded on the weekends (especially in the middle, shallower pool), but the water is cold and clean so it makes it a great place to cool off. The deeper of the three pools does go down to 10 feet and the boys do enjoy spending some time in the deep end. The rest of the park is great and has plenty of space to play. The paved hike and bike trail is a great addition and meanders through the wooded area of the park. The playscape is quite large and has lots of different features to attract kids of all ages. There is even a large field adjacent to the pool with a baseball backstop for team games and practices.
This 152-acre park really does have something for everyone and is a neighborhood favorite. Some of the Dick Nichols Park features include:
- A FREE large pool with 3 separate areas – a kiddie pool, a shallow area, and a deeper area with swim lanes. Sorry, no diving board.
- A mile-long, paved, hike and bike trail with recently upgraded exercise stations (some of which we couldn’t figure out but enjoyed anyway)
- A large playscape with swings
- Shaded and unshaded picnic areas
- A fenced-in basketball court (no chasing balls) and a separate tennis court area with two courts. The tennis court is a bit tucked away, so check the Google Map below for its location. There are several other additional basketball hoops around the park.
- A small dolphin splash pad adjacent to the reservable pavilion
- A sport-court volleyball court and two sand volleyball courts (or very large sand boxes)
See below for a gallery of images, a Google Map of the things to check out, and the review summary.
If you have additions, tips, or suggestions, please leave a comment below.
“Dick Nichols is a must go if in the area, it as a basketball court with a chain wall around it to rebound for you, multiple sand volleyball courts, it has a 1 mile running path that goes around the entire park weaving between beautiful trees.”Big J *Unedited
“Dick Nichols is huge and could be a great family outing because it has a playground, pool, tennis courts, basketball courts, sand volleyball, a 1 mile track around it and a covered area with tables to eat. Dick Nichols isn’t always crowded so it’s a great place to hang out.”Big C *Unedited